Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 28, 2013

What Can Happen

I'd like to share a bit of what can happen when you run to God for help. This is a true story.
 
About ten years ago my very best friend was diagnosed with Melanoma. She ran to me. We sat and cried together. I shared with her the fact that she needed to also run back to God. So she started coming to church with me. She began to build relationships. She got through her cancer treatment and some other ailments. She started to bring her mom and each Sunday we would all sit together and have fun at church.
 
The years passed. Then suddenly something happened that messed up our friendship and caused all sorts of pain and discomfort. But that's ok, it helped build up many things in my life. We took care of matters. Forgave and moved on.
 
In her willingness to run to God all those years ago, He opened doors for her she never thought about. Well maybe deep down inside she thought about them.
 
She walked through that big door, met a man, dated for about 5 years and today they are married.
 
Things can change when you pursue a relationship with God. The Bible tells us to put away all the foolish things of this world and seek Him. I kind of did that when I gave up watching television. It has given me more time to pursue God. I read more, study my Bible more, pray more, go out more, hang with friends more.
 
We can't go at this thing alone. We have to pursue a relationship with God and His people. It makes a difference in our life, in our health. It's time to get over whatever bitteress one might have with church life. As my former pastor was fond of saying, "build a bridge and get over it." People are always going to let us down, no matter what. It's up to us to try and not be that type of person. :-)
 
Backing up a bit....I have had nothing but fantastic treatment and care at the place I had my eye surgery done. The whole place runs like a fine tuned assembly line but everyone has been kind and friendly. Except for one. She was a "by the book" nurse who looked down at us over her glasses and talked very "matter of factly". No personality. So we had a question for her and she told us what was what and then just sort of lingered. What did we do? Oh how I wanted to be sarcastic. God forgive me I was when she left the room. But while she was there we just smiled at her and said "ok". Being sarcastic would have made me feel better but then it isn't about me.
 
I say "we" because over the last year or so I have had a friend who is a retired nurse go with me to almost every doctor appt. I have had. She has been my second pair of eyes and ears and yes there have been times when I might have wanted to be alone, but glad I wasn't. That's just another example of the provision of God. Running to Him gives me peace, joy, love, church family and much more.
 
Who knows, maybe someday it will lead to a date! Even though I'm at a point where I am content with God being the only man in my life. He is all I need. :-)

No comments: