Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Something I Never Do...or....Get That Squirrel Away From Me!!

I did something today I never do. I fixed myself a sandwich, went to the park, bought a soda and some chips, spread out a tablecloth on a table and ate my lunch next to the pavilion with the gorgeous view of the water and boats and ducks and geese and squirrels.

The weather is gorgeous, not to hot, not to humid. I killed two teeny tiny spiders, one on my arm. I looked up and had two ducks sitting next to me napping. After I was done eating I had a squirrel jump up on the bench next to me, all I could think of was 'oh no, crazy rabid squirrel is going to jump on me and there isn't a Funny Home Video camera in sight!' I quietly talked it down with a piece of bread I tossed aside. Some women and their children set up shop at a table nearby, there went my quiet space. Silly kids, don't they know they are supposed to be quiet in a park??

I was there for an hour, reading a couple of magazines, writing in my journal. The Methodist church across the road began their noon time fake chime of "How Great Thou Art" and it brought a tear to my eye and a lump in my throat. Because of the song, not the tin sound of it.

I came home a little over an hour later, only because I had to use the facilities and this woman will hold it forever before she uses a park bathroom. At home, I needed to put a load of laundry in the dryer, only to discover I forgot to wash the main thing I wanted to wash.

I feel as though I have creepy crawly little things meandering all over my body. Nature was not invented with me in mind. I prefer wondering how clean the establishment I'm eating in is over actually seeing what nature drops on my table.

But as I sat there talking to the animals that were near, I admit I did say 'Hello' to the squirrel and I asked the ducks, 'where did you guys come from?" I knew I was supposed to be where I was because I was out of my territory, comfort zone if you will and it gave me something to write about.

I had to laugh as I was leaving when it dawned on me yet again in my life how God loves it when we do something out of our ordinary, daily routine. It not only charges us up, it allows Him to be more open with us. We are shown new possibilities, new ideas, new encouragement. Isn't that something we all need?

I was alone with God, that's where things begin to happen. Did I need a man there with me? Heck no, he would have distracted me from God, the lover of my soul.

No comments: